Thursday, January 29, 2009

Come What May, and Love It

I have decided that my new life motto is going to be "Come what may, and love it." This is from a talk by Joseph B. Wirthlin. It is a lesson he learned from his mother. He says, "I think she may have meant that every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the birds don't sing and the bells don't ring. Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result."

About 3 weeks ago, while playing volleyball at a ward activity, I felt a pop in the back of my foot. It was a ruptured Achilles tendon which required surgery and has been a life changing injury. I am in the recovery period now where I cannot bear any weight on my left foot. I use a wheelchair or a walker to get around the house (just call me hop-along!). It has limited a lot of my normal activities and I find that I cannot do what I am used to doing (going downstairs to do laundry, the normal cooking and cleaning chores in the kitchen, driving, showering without help, etc.).





One of the things Elder Wirthlin suggests in his talk is to "learn to laugh." I think I have a pretty good sense of humor normally, but sometimes it is hard to laugh in the midst of adversity. For example, yesterday Mason was sitting at the table and spilled a very full glass of water all over the table and floor. Normally, this wouldn't have been a big deal, but with just the 2 of us at home, and me in a wheelchair, the task of getting all of the water wiped up seemed daunting! I managed to get a towel out of the closet and started using my feet to mop up the water. I was a little annoyed with the whole situation and then the words "come what may, and love it" popped into my head. I couldn't help but laugh at the site of me, in my wheelchair, using my feet to clean up a spill.

I hope that I can have a change of heart and learn to laugh more during times of hardship. I am thankful for wise and inspired words! Come what may, and love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog. :) Looking forward to more entries.

Sharon said...

OUCH!!! I have developed a "pump bump" from starting to wear high heels again and that is plenty painful, I can't imagine what you've gone through. :-(

BTW--Our boys are almost all the same age! Andrew and Tyler are, what, a month apart? I know you had him shortly after the first birthing class and I had Andrew the day of the last one. Cody is a year younger than Brady and Jay is a few months older than Mason.

CRAZY!