Sunday, February 15, 2009

Celebrating Firsts!

I have discovered that my recovery from my achilles tendon rupture (hereafter refered to as ATR) is being measured in "firsts." My first shower without the splint (and subsequent shaving of the leg--wahoo!), first trip to Walmart to ride in the electric scooter, etc.

Last week I had a wonderful "first!" I was given the okay to walk again with my walking boot. After three weeks of non weight bearing and one week of partial weight bearing, the doctor told me my tendon had healed and I needed to stress it to strengthen it, so he gave me the okay to walk. Hooray! At first I used 2 crutches for support, but I can hobble around the house with no crutches, except at night when I am tired and my foot is really sore, and first thing in the morning when my tendon is really tight. I do take a crutch with me when I go out, just for extra support, but I'm hoping that this week I can mostly do it on my own.

The walking boot--well, it does give me protection and support. I won't know what to do when I am weaned from that. I'm nervous about walking without it. The problem with it is that it raises that leg a couple of inches, so it makes it kind of hard to walk, especially barefoot on my good leg. I find that if I wear my tennis shoe, I can get around pretty well. I even wore the tennis shoe to church today! Talk about stylin'!

I am looking forward to my first physical therapy session (sometime around March 2nd). Bring on the firsts!

No comments: