Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Youth Conference, Storybook Island, and a Life Highlight!

Wow, we had an amazing weekend.  Tyler attended a Tri-Stake Youth Conference at Mallo Camp (outside of Newcastle).  It was called "The Journey" and was a Book of Mormon adventure.  He went up with our ward on Thursday.  We joined them on Friday--I guess it's a perk of being the bishop's family--they let us all come.  We had a lovely drive up there and despite getting a wee bit lost, we found the camp.  It was so beautiful--nestled in the Black Hills.  We got there just in time for lunch.  They had a big lodge and some smaller cabins that housed the youth.  We had burgers, chips, and carrots for lunch, then 5 groups performed skits about stories from the Book of Mormon (BOM).  Very cute and creative.  We then split into our "tribes" and did various workshops.  Our first stop was BOM jeopardy.  Then it was on to spear throwing, sword making, and the last station was geo compassing (which we skipped so we could check into our room at the Mallo Motel).  We went back and finished up the workshop and had dinner.  After dinner we had 5 more skits and then it was time to go to our room.  Pretty bare bones--a bed and a sink and toilet.  They did have a community room with a TV, so we went and watched a little TV (mostly baseball) before bed.  We slept well and then Brady and I got up at 5:15 and took a lovely 30 minute walk in the Black Hills.
Our Youth Conference Group!
Our Mantra!

Before breakfast, we had a special visitor--Mormon came and told us about his life.  It was inspiring and touched my heart.  We had breakfast and then it was time for the big culmination of the Final Battle of the BOM.  The kids took their swords and they had a battle on the hillside.  Tyler enjoyed Youth Conference a lot and I hope it touched his heart as it did mine!
The Final Batle:  O, ye fair ones!


We left a little before his group did so we could go on to Rapid City, SD.  Kwin had a special training meeting for bishops with 2 general authorities--an apostle and a Seventy.  He was asked to play the organ for the meeting.  It stressed him out and he wanted me to go with him to get the organ set up, etc.  We got to the church and started heading for the door when a man in a suit came and told us that the building was off limits (security for the apostle, I assume).  We explained why we were there and he agreed to let us inside to set up the organ and so Kwin could practice a few times.  We then left and had lunch.

The kids and I dropped Kwin off at the church, did a little shopping, and then headed to Storybook Island, which they had been dying to see.  Keep in mind that Tyler was on his way home to Sheridan with his youth group and so it was just me, Brady, and Mason.  We spent about 2.5 hours at Storybook Island walking around and enjoying the different characters.  Mason rode the train twice.  We stopped for an ice cream cone along the way.  It was a fun afternoon.

All Aboard!

Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O!

Mason's favorite nursery rhyme is "There was an old woman who lived in a shoe."  I think he especially likes the part about her "spanking them all soundly!"

My cute little firemen!

Ahoy!

Crazy Driver!

Such cute kids!


Dear Santa, I can explain!


While we were doing our activities, Kwin texted me and said that the apostle was Jeffrey R. Holland and the Seventy was Elder Costa.  Ever since we found out about this training meeting, I had hoped that it would be Holland.  He is my hero and one of my very favorite apostles (we probably shouldn't have a favorite, but I do).  When the meeting was over, we went into the building to use the restroom and to try to catch a glimpse of him, but he wasn't there.  I was disappointed, but so excited that Kwin had just spent 4 hours with him.  We were getting into our car and getting situated when he came out the door right by where I had parked.  We got out and got to meet him!  He shook all of our hands and talked with the boys for a minute.  As he left, he put his hand on my cheek and told me that he loved me.  He then shook Kwin's hand and told him that he loved him as well.  It was such an incredible experience.  As we were driving away, I was getting verclempt just thinking about what had just happened.  I didn't get a picture of us with him, unfortunately, but it was such a wonderful moment.  I told Brady I may never wash my face again!  Brady was very excited and kept asking questions about Elder Holland, etc.  What a wonderful way to start our summer vacation.  I left with a renewed resolve to do and be better!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

WOW!!!! Kristen that is so awesome! Our youth did the BOM youth conference 2 years ago (Andrew's first year...I think). It was such a great experience for him. Maybe now that Steve is our YM president we can go! Although, there is talk that this next conference will be a trek. Maybe I don't want to go! :-)

It sounds like you did have a great start to your summer vacation, and I'm sure the feeling will last even if you do wash your face.

Teann said...

That is so neat, Kristen!! Now you can pass that love directly on to those primary kids. :) I'm sure it made quite an impression on Brady, too!

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot...you just made me cry. What a special moment to have him touch you and tell you loves you. What a wonderful thing to happen!

JoAnn Arnold said...

I just read your incredible post from beginning to end. Made me miss you. Your boys are growing up.

Elder Holland is from St. George so I have seen him from a distance only. But he is a very personal man. I'm glad you got to meet him. I think he recognized the tender spirit in you.